Isn’t this simple zen bloom just the dreamiest addition to your nightstand? This lovely Lotus Flower Ring Holder is a simple DIY project made with polymer clay that bakes in a conventional oven, and the whole project can be completed in under an hour! With wedding season on the horizon, this makes a thoughtful gift for a bride to be, as the lotus flower also symbolizes good fortune. It also makes a pretty Mother’s Day present for resting small baubles.
- Sculpey III Polymer Clay in Ballerina, or any other color you like!
- rolling pin
- wax paper
- clay knife or plastic card
- small oven safe bowl
- Place a piece of wax paper over a flat surface and roll out some of your clay to a 1/8 inch thickness.
- Use a sculpting knife (or just a plastic card, like me!) to cut out petal shapes. The bigger the petal the larger the overall size of your lotus flower ring holder, My petals were about 2 inches long. If you make a mistake, just re-roll your clay out!
- Arrange the bottom layer of petals in an small oven safe bowl, as shown above. There were 6 petals for the bottom layer of my lotus flower. Very gently press the petals against the bowl so they take a smooth, rounded shape.
- Add a second layer of petals on top, positioned in between the bottom layer. I used another 6 petals. Gently press the petals down to adhere to the bottom layer. Take care round out the second layer of petals, especially the center of the top petals that lie between the bottom layer.
- Find something around the house that can suffice as a circle shape cutout, I used the cap of a marker. Roll out a small amount of clay, and cut out a small circle. Press the circle shape in the center of the lotus.
- Preheat the oven to 275 degrees. Bake for 20 minutes. Turn the oven off and let the bowl with your clay flower cool inside the oven for 5 more minutes before taking out. Once you take the bowl out of the oven, let your ring holder cool completely before handling.
This was my first time working with polymer clay, and I loved it! Even better, the quick bake time makes for instant gratification. Sculpey III Clay comes in a rainbow of colors and my mind is already swimming with all the fun possibilities.